Senior Planning Assessment Officer (Maternity Leave)
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 320 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experienced professional to join our motivated Development Services team for the position of Senior Planning Assessment Officer. This position plays a key role in actively providing an efficient and effective service in relation to the assessment of applications to ensure that the unit achieves Council’s objectives. This is a maternity leave contract and Council will consider either full-time or part-time work arrangements.
Working within the Development Services Unit, this role will be required to:
- Process Development Applications, and Section 96 and 82A Applications, including major/significant applications, in accordance with statutory requirements and Council’s codes and policies;
- Provide written and verbal advice regarding land use, zoning, planning legislation, and Council’s policies and procedures;
- Represent Council in meetings with developers and their representatives in regard to development proposals and preparation of applications, including attendance at Pre-DA Meetings; and
- Report to Council and the Joint Regional Planning Panel in response to submitted Development Applications, and attend these meetings as required.
To succeed in this role, you will ideally have:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (at a bachelor degree minimum) in town planning, with the eligibility for acceptance to the Planning Institute of Australia;
- Extensive relevant experience in development assessment, including the assessment of complex applications; and understanding of the Joint Regional Planning Panel process and experience in referring applications to the JRPP for determination;
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 and the Local Government Act 1993, and associated Regulations; and
- Highly developed written and verbal communications skills including report writing and public presentation skills.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $80,179 - $92,206 per annum
- 9.5% superannuation
- Maternity Relief – Up to 12 months
- Full-time or Part-time
- Leaseback vehicle
- Flexible work arrangements and work/life balance
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
Close Date: Thursday 15 February 2018 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Janine McCarthy, Development Services Manager on 4993 4254
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.