Senior Environmental Planner
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 320 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
Working within the Strategic Planning Unit, the Senior Environmental Planner will lead development and implementation of environmental, biodiversity, climate change and sustainable land management policies, strategies and plans for Cessnock City Council. This role will also be required to:
- Provide strategic advice into statutory planning applications and strategic planning initiatives and ensure environmental strategies and development are sustainable and are integrated into current and future processes, plans, strategies, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
- Develop, review and update relevant environmental policies and integrate environmental priorities into the planning process;
- Plan and co-ordinate special projects that respond to climate change adaptation, environmental hazards, sustainability, and water sensitive urban design; and
- Identify future strategies that improve, protect and value the natural environment whilst also identifying opportunities and creative solutions for future urban growth.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Degree in environmental management, natural resources or other relevant discipline that reflects the key accountabilities of the position;
- Demonstrated extensive experience in the development and implementation of sustainable environmental management, strategies, plans, policies and initiatives;
- Demonstrated strong analytical, research and problem solving skills, including the ability to critically analyse issues and develop and implement appropriate solutions; and
- Demonstrated well-developed oral and written communication skills, with the ability to prepare different outputs and reports of a strategic nature, and to make presentations to a wide range of internal and external audiences.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $86,100 - $99,015 per annum
- Plus 10.5% superannuation
- 19 day month and RDO scheme
- Flexible work arrangements and work/life balance
- Generous corporate fitness program
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
Close Date: Thursday 22 March 2018 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Keren Brown, Acting Principal Strategic Planner on 4993 4127
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.