Principal Strategic Planner
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 320 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
An exciting leadership opportunity is now available for a Principal Strategic Planner to play a pivotal role in the management and co-ordination of projects and support to staff in the Strategic Planning unit. This key position will prepare strategic land use plans, reports and environmental planning instruments and policies which are comprehensive, contemporary, relevant and reflective of the Council’s and communities goals.
This role will also be required to:
- Supervise and lead a group of land use officers within the Strategic Planning unit, demonstrating leadership and promoting a climate of positive change, trust and teamwork;
- Lead and co-ordinate the review, development, implementation and reporting of s94 and s94A Contributions Plans and Planning Agreements in consultation with developers, Council Asset Planners and other relevant units of Council to ensure an integrated approach into Council’s long term financial and capital works planning; and
- Negotiate with developers/proponents on the specifics of the infrastructure, facilities and services to be provided, the timing of provision of said infrastructure, and the agreed timing of credits / payments of contributions.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Degree qualification in strategic planning, urban and regional planning or other relevant equivalent tertiary qualifications;
- Demonstrated extensive relevant experience in preparing Local Environmental Plans, Development Control Plans, Section 94 Contribution Plans and Voluntary Planning Agreements and planning studies, reviewing and assessing Planning Proposals, application of urban design principles and heritage management, generation and implementation of innovative strategic planning solutions;
- Demonstrated experience in project management including the preparation of project briefs, managing consultants and contracts; and
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role managing the performance of a team of professionals in delivering quality outcomes.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $99,300 -$114,195 per annum
- Plus 10.5% superannuation
- 35 hours per week
- 19 day month and RDO scheme
- Flexible work arrangements and work/life balance
- Generous corporate fitness program
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
Note: Previous applicants need not apply.
Close Date: Friday 29 June 2018 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Martin Johnson, Manager Strategic Planning on 4993 4229
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.