Environmental Health Officer (1x Permanent & 2x Temporary Positions)
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
We seek driven individuals with demonstrated skills in environmental health who enjoy working in a fast paced environment to join our growing team. We have one (1) permanent position and two (2) 12 month temporary contract positions available.
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 280 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
Working within the Health and Building team, this role will provide effective and efficient services to reduce risks to both public health and the environment. This incorporates conducting inspections as identified by the approved regulatory inspection program; including the inspection of food premises, skin penetration premises, beauticians, cooling towers, on-site wastewater management systems and public swimming pools/spas; and administration and enforcement of related legislation.
This role will also be required to:
- investigate, manage and resolve public health, environmental and stormwater complaints (CRMs) within required timeframes;
- provide high quality technical advice to Town Planning and Building services through the timely completion of development application referrals;
- consider and determine applications for approval under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 relating to the installation, construction or alteration of a waste treatment device and operating a system of sewage management; and
- liaise with, and provide assistance and advice to a variety of stakeholders including Council staff, consultants, residents, State Government Departments and agencies.
To succeed in this role, you will ideally have:
- degree or post graduate qualifications accredited by Environmental Health Australia;
- demonstrated knowledge of the Food Act 2003 and subordinate legislation; and demonstrated experience conducting food premises inspections and undertaking enforcement action;
- demonstrated experience in conducting inspections of a variety of commercial and domestic on-site sewage management systems and undertaking regulatory action.
- highly developed written and verbal communications skills including the ability to communicate with a range of stakeholders, both internal and external; and
- demonstrated highly developed negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
$71,315 - $79,873 per annum (including market premium) plus superannuation. All positions are based on a 35 hour working week and RDO scheme.
Close Date: Sunday, 23 July 2017 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Megan Savill, Team Leader on 4993 4243
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.