Works and Operations Manager
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 280 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
We are currently undergoing an exciting cultural transformation as we modernise our organisation to develop a high performing and sustainable Council. We are seeking applications, from highly motivated, energetic and outcome focused individuals who want to make a difference and help shape our future.
The Works and Operations Manager position is a key role within the organisation and has the responsibility of effectively managing the provision of construction and maintenance activities relating to Council’s infrastructure including roads, stormwater drainage and bridges. This diverse position will also manage the workshop, which services all Council heavy plant, essential for daily operations, and the operations of the Cessnock Aerodrome.
This position is required to operate in a complex socio-political environment and effectively manage a wide range of industrial issues to ensure that positive outcomes are delivered for the unit and the organisation.
This role will be required to:
- Plan and manage the cost effective delivery of ongoing civil maintenance and construction works in accordance with Council’s approved programs, Integrated Management System or the Single Invitation Contract for the RMS where applicable;
- Contribute and support the achievement of the objectives of the Cessnock City Council Community Strategic Plan & Delivery Program including providing input to the Management Plan; and
- Provide strong leadership to the staff in the Works and Operations unit including goal setting, delegation, performance management, staff development, succession planning and fostering a high morale, high performing team.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Degree qualification in civil engineering or other relevant tertiary qualifications;
- Demonstrated extensive experience in a civil engineering role with extensive experience in road, bridge and drainage infrastructure construction and maintenance and detailed knowledge and understanding of technical specifications, project cost estimating, contract documentation and management of contractors and consultant services; and
- Demonstrated sound experience in a leadership role.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $152,800 - $175,700 per annum
- 10.5% superannuation
- Leaseback vehicle scheme
- 19 day month and RDO scheme
- Flexible work arrangements and work/life balance
- Generous corporate fitness program
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
Close Date: Thursday, 27 July 2017 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Justin Fitzpatrick-Barr, Director Works and Infrastructure on 4993 4279
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.