Cessnock, NSW, 2325
About the opportunity
Are you seeking a new exciting career development opportunity that combines your highly developed communication and customer service skills along with your finance experience? We are seeking highly motivated finance superstars with a willingness to learn and achieve as one of our Revenue Officers. This unique position is responsible for efficiently maintaining Council’s rating and property database, resulting in excellent data integrity and maximisation of Council’s income from rates and charges. Utilising your high level communication skills you will also provide advice and business support to the Finance and Administration Business Unit of Council, ensuring efficient and effective operations of revenue functions.
Other key responsibilities will include:
- Provide effective customer service in a timely, courteous and professional manner including telephone and counter inquiries and answering correspondence relating to revenue section matters;
- Reconciliation and processing of payments from Council’s collections agencies, Bpay, Direct Debits, SecurePay, Australia Post and Centrepay, and bank reconciliation processes;
- Provide advice to the organisation on rating matters such as pension eligibility, ownership, waste service charges, rating categories and calculations, rating exemptions, property identification and debt recovery as required and within the employee’s skill, competence and training; and
- Support the Revenue Officer (Debt Management) in matters including rates related debt recovery, payment arrangement establishment and monitoring, and customer enquiries.
- Certificate IV in accounting, financial management, business management or other related discipline or demonstrated extensive experience in a similar role;
- Demonstrated strong experience (3 to 5 years) in an office environment combined with a solid understanding of financial systems and operations;
- Demonstrated sound interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills with the proven ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external and build effective working relationships with people at all levels of the organisation; and
- Demonstrated sound negotiation and conflict resolution skills with the proven ability to negotiate suitable outcomes and resolve conflict in a difficult environment.
$61,088 - $70,733 per annum plus 10.5% superannuation.
- 35 hour per week position
- 19 day month/RDO scheme
- Flexible work arrangements and work/life balance
- Generous corporate fitness program
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
This is a re-advertised position. Previous applicants need not apply.
Applications Close: Thursday 24 September 2020 at 11.30pm
Who to Contact:
Kelly McGowan, Operations Accountant on 02 4993 4224
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please refresh your browser prior to commencing your application. Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later. You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Please complete the application form below and provide detailed responses to the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. Your candidate suitability is determined by your responses to the selection criteria, for more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit our How to apply page.
Please note, prior to an offer of employment being made, recommended candidates will be required to undertake a medical assessment (including drug and alcohol testing). Council may also complete a range of other pre-employment checks, such as references, employment history checks, working with children checks or a criminal record check.
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.